Monday, January 24, 2011

About Me

Hello there, I'm glad to see you have decided to follow my blog!  I decided to start a blog to let off some steam on all the homesteading ideas that roam around my mind every day.  This will be a fun ride through all the wins and losses that I go through transforming my house and property into a fully functioning, food producing homestead.  First I should let you know, my wife and I bought this property in April of 2010.  Its a nice split level with almost three acres of land.  We kinda lucked out with this place in that it is almost half wooded and there is a nice big pond on it.  We will be having our first child in March and I thought what better legacy to leave to our daughter than a 3 acre piece of land that produces massive amounts of food.
    I started in my efforts last summer, adding 8 apple trees, 12 grapevines, 2 pear trees, asparagus, and a few blueberry bushes.  I wanted to start with these plants and trees because they take the most time to produce food for me.  Also, we waited all of last summer to plant a garden because we were having a new septic system put in (per new state code).  Our septic system was exactly finished on August 31!!!!!  Needless to say, there is not a garden!  I have a 20 gallon tote full of seed envelopes and peat pots that I have been staring at for a year!  I sure hope they are still viable!!
     I am looking for my homestead to produce the most amount of food with the least amount of labor, hence the name of this blog;).  There will be a garden tilled in this year!  I also plan on uploading video pf my exploits to youtube. Anyway, I'm glad you stopped by to read my blog.  I'm sitting here looking outside at 2 feet of snow getting antsy to get to work, maybe you will get as excited as I??

No comments:

Post a Comment